April showers have brought us May… Sunbreaks, at least!
But we are not letting the occasional rainstorm stop our excitement for Ride the Willapa! In fact, we wanted to give you a little update on all the fun stuff we are working for this year’s event. It’s definitely got me wishing that June would hurry up and get here already! (Although let’s be honest, we’d all settle for just a little more sun.)
June 25th Could Be Your Lucky Day
Win this Public C7 Bicycle!
To drum up some extra excitement about Ride the Willapa, and our beloved home of the Willapa Hills Trail, we are raffling off this sweet Public C7 Bicycle! And not to leave the little ones out, there’s a kid’s version, too! Check out how cute this thing is – perfect for tykes 6-8 years old. The adult bike is best for a rider over 5’5″ tall. Tickets are $1 a piece, 5 for $4.50, or 25 for $20.
How and Where to enter:
- The Pearl in Chehalis, WA
- Dawn’s Delectables in Centralia, WA
- Centralia-Chehalis Chamber of Commerce
Head over to these area businesses during their normal business hours. Each bike comes with it’s own little cotton swag bag containing a few biking accessories, as well as a little vial of paint to keep your new prize looking its best.
Here are a couple more ways to enter:
We’ve all been praying for Rainbow Falls State Park to open up. All that praying has paid off! The park was officially opened again this week, and we couldn’t be more thrilled. This means that without a shred of lingering doubt, we get to Campout on June 24 – complete with all the fixin’s – lawn games, yummy dinner and breakfast (not included in fee), acoustic music by the fire, sleeping under the stars, and even a complimentary yoga class in the morning! For those practical minded individuals, there are full bathroom facilities at this Park, complete with showers! Just don’t forget to pack a towel.
Just as a reminder, there is a small fee to join us at the Campout ($4 per camper, or the fee for a full campsite if you’d prefer), but judging by the list above, it’s worth every penny.
Village Festival Lineup
Pe Ell is ready to roll out the welcome mat, as riders cross the finish line!
As you roll into Pe Ell, you’ll be welcomed by a commemorative photo op – courtesy of Studio K of Olympia and Chehalis – and receive your official Ride the Willapa finisher medal. From there, the day is yours to discover. Below is a list of events that you can expect at the Village Festival – and there are more in the works!
- Pe Ell Farmer’s Market from 8am – 12pm
- Quilt Show and sale at the United Methodist Church Saturday & Sunday
- Town wide garage sale on Saturday
- Self-guided historic tour
- Horseshoe Tournament – Winner receives a new horseshoe set! (Signups at the park, by 3pm)
- Gold Panning booth in conjunction with Packwood Prospectors
- STARGAZING party, hosted by the Tacoma Astronomical Society – Pe Ell School football field
- Free camping, with showers (don’t forget to bring a towel!) – Pe Ell School football field
- Music In The Park – Bruce Maier Band – 6-10pm
- Candle Light Inn for dinner and breakfast – Hungarian Goulash serve over handmade noodles, or Beurecks (beef, onions cabbage, peppercorns stew backed inside a yeast roll), served with baked potato, fruit salad, water. Sunday morning starting at 6am: Dutch babies (soufflé style pancake) with choice of fresh fruit and other toppings
Stay tuned… Next Week:
Next week we’ll be revisting our Trail Spotlight series with a deeper look at life on the trail, for Gary and Sharon McCool of Rosecrest Farms and their awesome relationship with Organic Valley. Until then, look how cute this little calf is! This shot was captured at last year’s Tour de Farms on Ride the Willapa.